• Employment permits for minors (under age 18)

    All teens under 18 years of age must complete a work permit application and get a work permit before starting a new job. Please see the complete summary of the Massachusetts laws regulating child labor, including changes made in 2007, for further information.

    With very limited exceptions, minors under the age of 14 may not work. All minors under the age of 18 must complete an employment permit application and get their permit before starting a new job. You can download Youth employment permit application and Youth Permit Process. 

    For minors who are residents of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, permits are issued by the superintendent of schools for the municipality in which the minor lives or attends school. If the minor lives outside the Commonwealth, the permit is issued by the superintendent for the community where the minor's job will be located.

    Minors must provide the specific employer, work address, and job description to receive a permit.

    The child labor law covers minors who are no longer students in the same way as students of the same age.

    Information on youth employment from mass.gov